Advertise with us
Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   JOIN
Adjudicators: How is your experience so far?
Moderator(s): James Nelson
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/17/2014 at 8:17:14 PM GMT
Adjudicators: How is your experience so far?
Hi, fellow adjudicators.

Wanted to stir up some discussion on how your experience is going so far -- have you been seeing good shows? Any theatres that were new from you? How easy / difficult is it for you to evaluate the different aspects of the work?

I'm enjoying the process immensely - I've adjudicated 9 shows, 5 of which were at theatres I've never attended before. I find evaluating the performances, production, and directing easy but the technical disciplines are harder for me to judge. It's fun to try to pick apart exactly what worked so well, or what brought down the success of a production. 

How's it going for you?

James Nelson
Field Services Associate
p: 415-430-1140 *21
e: james@theatrebayarea.org

3/17/2014 at 8:56:42 PM GMT
I was just sent this weekend to a show I'd otherwise never have seen: "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon" by the Bay Area Children's Theatre. As a non-parent, this company wasn't on my radar at all -- but the show was superb, and it was incredibly fun and rewarding to see a packed house of kids (many of them QUITE young) delighting in the show and the opportunity at the end to get a keepsake poster and interact with the characters/actors. (My favorite moment was a very serious little guy asking the Dragon whether he was sad when he couldn't fly.)

Alas this was the final day of the final weekend of this show, but I've now recommended the company to all my friends with young kids, and i'm looking forward to coming back with children in tow. I really feel like that experience of being an adjudicator gave me the opportunity not only to see excellent theatre that I'd otherwise have missed, but also to become familiar with an entire COMPANY whose work I'm now excited to follow and share.

Last edited Tuesday, March 25, 2014
3/17/2014 at 10:14:26 PM GMT
Quote:
Originally posted by D. Harrison:
...but also to become familiar with an entire COMPANY whose work I'm not excited to follow and share.

You mean "now excited", right? Smile

James Nelson
Field Services Associate
p: 415-430-1140 *21
e: james@theatrebayarea.org

3/25/2014 at 10:22:30 PM GMT
Uh - yeah. Thanks. EDITED!

4/4/2014 at 9:11:22 PM GMT
I've now seen and voted on 11 productions! It's been fun and interesting. Last night I saw a show at Bindlestiff - I hadn't been in that venue since it moved to its current location, so it was a real surprise to see what a great black box space that is. I also went to my first ever Berkeley Playhouse show, In general, I'm really enjoying this process so far, and looking forward to seeing how everything comes together in November!

9/29/2014 at 3:03:18 PM GMT
The first two shows I signed up to adjudicate, I wasn't on the box office list. But that was it: it's been smooth sailing since.
I've voted on 12 shows and found the process easy to navigate.

I do think that there must be some better way to categorize the awards.
Comparing "Putnam County Spelling Bee" with "House That Will Not Stand" - how do you even do that?

11/18/2014 at 8:35:47 AM GMT
A moderator has removed this post.